Monday, July 7, 2008

North of the Border

Over the weekend, the Canadian Broadcasting Co.'s program "As It Happens" (which also airs on more than 100 stations in the U.S.) ran a piece on Poplar Grove as part of its Independence Day coverage.

The thing that I really wish were different about this report and the NPR one from last week is that they both make it sound like I am the one doing the research on the Poplar Grove Papers ... as readers of this blog know, it is really the student research team - Jim, Olivia, Jeremy, and Abbie - who are doing all of the work on this project, sifting through the papers, reading them and archiving them, under the direction of the legendary Dr. Edward Papenfuse of the Maryland State Archives. I am simply the only one on the team who had so much time to talk to the press because I wasn't busy with the much more important parts of the project. ...

Anyhow, the CBC broadcast is available as an mp3 podcast here:

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/asithappens_20080705_6554.mp3

The CBC producer tells me that podcast link will only be up for two weeks, so after that you can find the story as a wmv file here (you have to skip through another story to get to PG):

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/asithappens/20080704-aih-1.wmv

And now perhaps the media feeding frenzy is over, and we can all get back to the place where breaking news really happens - I mean the 19th century, of course ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened to stumble upon the As It happens podcast which I listened to. I then found my way to the Poplar Grove website. What an exciting find and a great opportunity for the students working on this project. Keep up the great work.